Ian Robertson, BMW AG, cars with carbon

2010 North American International Auto Show (NAIAS), Detroit, MI- Ian Robertson is a member of the Board of Management of BMW AG, Sales and Marketing.

Once again BMW has brought out a bunch of cars. Robertson goes through them; the X6 hybrid, the 7-Series, the 5 Gran Turismo and the Active E hybrid. Robertson talked about what they learned from the MINI-E and how much they were able to put into production on the Active E. 500-600 Active-Es will be put into production for further study.

Robertson also talked about the efficient dynamics that BMW was incorporating in all it’s cars, such as start stop.

Cars with carbon on them, not coming out of them

BMW created a joint venture joint venture to manufacture carbon fibers and fabrics for the automotive industry. The joint venture has SGL Group holding 51%, and the BMW Group holding the other 49% of the shares. The joint venture will be operated through two companies, one based in North America (SGL Automotive Carbon Fibers LLC), and the other in Germany (SGL Automotive Fibers GmbH & Co KG). The BMW Group will have access to key technologies in the production of their Megacity Vehicle which is part of the project-i group of vehicles.

This will allow the BMW Group to use the composite material carbon fiber in their electric vehicles.

Hence, the carbon on cars, not out of cars.

About the Author:

Lou Ann Hammond is the CEO of Carlist and Driving the Nation. She is the co-host of Real Wheels Washington Post carchat every Friday morning and is the Automotive, energy correspondent for The John Batchelor Show and a Contributor to Automotive Electronics magazine headquartered in Korea. Hammond is a member of the North American Car and Truck of the Year (NACTOY), Women's World Car of the Year (WWCOTY), and the Concept Car of the Year.