Los Angeles, 14 November 2016 – Ian Callum, Director of Design, said: “The I-PACE Concept represents the next generation of the electric vehicle design. It’s a dramatic, future-facing cab-forward design with a beautiful interior – the product of authentic Jaguar DNA, electric technology, and contemporary craftsmanship.[tribulant_slideshow gallery_id=”44″]
Better than any 3D I-MAX movie I have ever seen is the virtual reality unveil of the Jaguar I-PACE that was presented today, on the eve of the Los Angeles auto show, now known as Automobility.
Taking Tesla head-on Jaguar has gone straight to the electric car, bypassing a plug-in hybrid, or a hydrogen fuel-cell vehicle. This is Jaguar’s first electric vehicle concept car by Ian Callum. Listen as he describes his thoughts for the design of a soon to be production 2018 Jaguar I-Pace full-electric vehicle.
From Jaguar’s Press Release;
The state-of-the-art electric motors and 90kWh lithium-ion battery pack were designed in-house by Jaguar Land Rover to give the best possible performance and range for most daily journeys. Where ever you are in the world you can simply plug your car into a wall socket overnight, and have more than enough range to complete the average daily commute of around 50 km.
For rapid charging, using a typical public 50 KW DC charging network, a full charge will take just over 2 hours. Enough to deliver more than 220 miles range (measured on the US EPA test cycle) or more than 500 km range (measured on the European NEDC test cycle).
The I-PACE Concept transforms the electric driving experience and offers the driver-focused performance and response Jaguar is renowned for. To help deliver this, the I-PACE has electric motors on the front and rear axles. Their combined output is 400PS and 700Nm of torque – the same torque rating as the F-TYPE SVR.
Ian Hoban, Vehicle Line Director, described the set up to VR guests who were able to use virtual reality to get under the skin of this ground-breaking technology. He said: “Electric motors provide immediate response with no lag, no gearshifts, and no interruptions. Their superior torque delivery compared to internal combustion engines transforms the driving experience. With 700Nm and the traction benefits of all-wheel drive, the I-PACE Concept accelerates from 0-60mph in around four seconds.”
Ian Callum said: “The interior of the I-PACE Concept is finished with beautiful, premium materials and unwavering attention to detail. Throughout the interior, you will discover a host of beautiful details to surprise and delight. From the expansive panoramic glass roof to the sporting, beautifully finished seats, every feature bears the hallmark of British craftsmanship.
“And there is digital craftsmanship too, with two touch screens serving up information when and where you need it, limiting distraction and improving the driving experience”
• The I-PACE Concept previews Jaguar’s first-ever electric vehicle
• The production version will be revealed in late 2017 and will hit the road in 2018
• I-PACE Concept is an electric performance SUV with a bold, cab-forward design that combines a supercar silhouette with sports car performance and five-seater SUV versatility
• With a predicted range of more than 500km on the NEDC cycle (more than 220 miles EPA), drivers with the average daily commute will only need to recharge the vehicle once a week
• A new electric vehicle architecture enabled Jaguar’s designers and engineers to tear up the rule book on usability
• Occupies less road space than conventional mid-size SUVs yet offers more room for passengers and luggage than models in the segment above
• Optimized aerodynamics deliver a low drag coefficient of just 0.29 and inspired new design features that embody the vehicle’s power and performance
• The interior has cutting-edge technology and premium materials, showcasing Jaguar’s vision for electric luxury while preserving beautiful detailing and British craftsmanship
• Lightweight slimline seats and a ‘Sports Command’ driving position provide a sports car-like sense of connection with the road
• Electric motors at the front and rear axles generate a combined output of 400PS and 700Nm of instant torque, delivering sports car acceleration and the all-weather, all-surface benefits of all-wheel drive
• The low center of gravity combined with sophisticated double-wishbone front and Integral Link rear suspension delivers Jaguar ride and handling with outstanding refinement
• A blend of touchscreens, capacitive switches, and tactile analog controls helps drivers to manage in-car information more intuitively